Sunday, April 20, 2008
Initially I wanted to make soup with quail eggs, but then I found out that I did not have enough veggies to put it together. At the end I just browsed around some recipes online, and chose this one from eresep.com and made modification, since I do not have black fish paste (Indonesian-petis ikan), I replaced it with black shrimp paste (Indonesian-petis udang).
The taste is a combination of spicy, sweet and savory with strong aroma which came from lemon grass and lime leaves.
- 20 quail eggs, boil and then remove the shells
- 1 block of tempeh, cut into small squares and fry it until golden brown
- 3 blocks of medium hard tofu, cut into small squares and fry it until golden brown
- 6 cloves of garlic, chop it thinly
- 5 cloves of small red onion, chop it thinly
- 8 chili paddy or bird's eye chili
- 3 Tbsp of black shrimp paste
- 3 lime leaves
- 2 lemon grass, cut into 4cm in length and then crack it with pestle
- 1/2 can of coconut milk
- oil for saute and frying
In a wok, saute garlic and onion with a little bit of oil until fragrant. Add lemon grass, lime leaves and chili, continue to saute for another 2minutes. Add app. 200ml of water and black shrimp paste. Stir it well and continue to cook until boiling. Add quail eggs, fried tempeh and tofu, stir it well. Add coconut milk and stir it while cooking. Wait until boiling and adjust the taste with salt and sugar.