Saturday, March 1, 2008
Again, mind the English title...I realized how hard it is to translate typical Indonesian food names into English. This salad is good to eat with yellow rice or savory one.
- a bunch of water morning-glory (Indonesian-kangkung), wash and cut into 4cm in length
- a bunch of long beans, wash and cut into 4cm in length
- 150 gr of bean sprout
- 100 gr of grated coconut (available frozen in Asian store)
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 5 cloves of small red onion
- 10 chili paddy or bird's eye chili
- 1 tsp of shrimp paste
- 1 tsp of ground lesser galangal or sand ginger (Indonesian-kencur)
- 3 lime leaves, discard the hard part
- 1/2 block of palm sugar, grated with knife
Boil some water in a pot and cook the water morning glory, long beans and bean sprout separately. Do not overcooked. Put it aside. Put frozen grated coconut in a microwavable bowl, add a little bit of water and microwave it for 1 or 2 minutes. Put it aside.
In a chopper, chop garlic, onion, chili, lime leaves, shrimp paste and palm sugar until smooth.
Mix it well with grated coconut and add some salt and ground lesser galangal.
To serve, mix the cooked vegetables with seasoned grated coconut.