Thursday, March 20, 2008
Initially I wanted to make siomay Bandung, but changed my mind during the preparation. So I just made these fried meat-stuffed tofu. It is good to accompany a cup of tea during our afternoon family time.
- oil for frying
- 4 blocks of firm tofu, each block is good for 8 triangle shaped cut, scoop out the middle part and use it for filling (see picture below)
To make filling:
- The crumb from middle part of tofu
- 200gr of ground meat (chicken/pork/beef/fish)
- 12 headless shrimp, peel of the skin and discard the tails
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 3 Tbsp of fish sauce
- 2 Tbsp of oyster sauce
- 3 Tbsp of maizena or corn flour
- 1 egg
- 2 green onion, chop thinly
- 2 tsp of ground white pepper
In a chopper, chop shrimp, crumb tofu and garlic until smooth. Place it in a mixing bowl. Add fish and oyster sauce, egg, pepper and sugar. Mix it well. Add green onion and corn flour and mix it well. Take a spoon of it and stuff into the hole of tofu one by one until all is done. Put it aside.
To make skin:
- 3 Tbsp of rice flour
- 2 Tbsp of maizena/corn flour
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp of ground coriander
- 1 tsp of garlic plus seasoning
In a small bowl, mix well all of the ingredients and use it to dip the tofu before frying it (to get crunchy skin).
Deep fry stuffed tofu under medium heat until brownish. Serve while warm with some fresh chili and a cup of tea.