Friday, March 7, 2008
Being bored of eating meat, I prepared this meal for our dinner last week. My husband likes it so much. I believe this meal is originally from East Java.
- 2 blocks of medium firm tofu, deep fry and then cut into small pieces
- 2 eggs, boil, peel of the shell and cut into 8 each
- 2 potato, boil, peel of the skin and cut into small pieces
- 150gr of bean sprouts, boil and drain off the water
- 4 small packages of rice dumpling, boil, cool down and cut into 6 each
- fried onion
- oil for frying
To make dressing:
- 150gr of peanut, fry it without oil until brownish
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 8 chili paddy or bird's eye chili, add some more if you prefer spicy one
- 1 tsp of tamarind
- 2 Tbsp of black shrimp paste (Indonesian-petis udang)
- 1 block of palm sugar
- 2 Tbsp of sweet soy sauce
- prawn crackers
- Gnetum Gnemon crackers (Indonesian-emping melinjo)
In a small glass, pour some hot water app. 100ml, then add tamarind. Stir it well until it form tamarind juice. Discard the stone and hard part of the tamarind. In a blender, put all ingredients to make dressing except sweet soy sauce and salt. Then add tamarind juice and blend until you get smooth mix, add some water as needed. Pour it into a small bowl. Add sweet soy sauce and salt to taste.
To serve, arrange cut rice dumpling, potato, egg and tofu on a plate. Then add bean sprouts on top of it. Pour the dressing over it (you may add some more sweet soy sauce). Add the crackers and sprinkle some fried onion.
Note: The ingredients is good to make 2-3 plates of this meal.